Saturday, May 18, 2013

I think I was born for NYC: Part 1

I did it people. I got through my first week (well, half week) in NYC!
Things are fabulous!
I am going to break this into two posts because I just have a lot of stuff to say and tons of pics. I also don't have a very long attention span so that is the other reason why this will be delivered to you in two posts.
Here I go.

PART ONE

We got into the city Monday morning with a FULL truck load of stuff. The drive was pretty quick and easy and we basically got off at an exit and turned onto our street (which means not much crazy-honking-flippingthebird-city-driving.)

The truck loaded to the brim!
My job was easy when we got there. I basically stood by the pile of our stuff on the side of the street while J used a hand truck to wheel everything into the building. Luckily our super came out to meet us and was incredibly nice and helped J carry everything inside.

While J was making trips in and out, I stood there guarding our stuff, which was boring until I looked to my right and saw this crazy pigeon!
Okay, I mean I have seen pigeons before and I know there are lots of them in the city but this was a bright white pigeon in the bus lane and it was flipping around all crazy! I don't know if it got hit or what, but its head looked a little squished and it was like flapping around and somersaulting and couldn't seem to stand upright! It was so crazy! 
Of course I was captivated and when Joe got back to the truck to pick up another load of stuff I'm like 
"J! J! Look at this crazy bird!!"
As J has veins popping out of his head because he is lifting a box full of canned foods. He was not as interested in the bird as I was.
Whatever.
Then an old lady stopped and picked this crazy lunatic pigeon up and carried it onto the sidewalk and put it down under a tree. It just sat there for a long time...then I got bored and started looking at a 300lb woman in white stretch pants and when I turned back to check on the pigeon it was gone.
Long story short, we moved everything into the apartment.

At this point it was late in the afternoon and we were starving so we walked to the little store next to our building, bought a six pack of beer and went back to the apartment and ordered a pizza. No joke it was delivered in 12 min. And it was AMAZEBALLS.
We ate it on the floor because we have no furniture yet.

Amazing pizza...on the floor.

On Tuesday we did more unpacking and then did a practice trip to my office. I wanted to make sure I knew where I was going and wouldn't get lost and die. We had dinner that night at the place next to our building. It is a teeny tiny place and we walked in and were the only people in there. We both really wanted a big cold beer but when we looked at the menu we discovered that it was basically all wine. Except for a few "beer mixed drinks"
I bet you are wondering what that means...so am I.

5 drinks. All with weird names I can't pronounce. Each description is this:
'beer, sprite, ____' The blank space is for any number of things, such as : grenadine, peach nectar, champagne, grape flavor.
I am not kidding. 
You couldn't get a regular beer. 
They already brought us bread which J had already begun to tackle so we were committed.
I ordered the beer, sprite, peach nectar combo only to have the guy tell me they were  out of peach nectar, so I reluctantly settled for grenadine.
5 min go by...no drinks.
A young guy from the kitchen runs out the front door.
5 more min go by...no drinks.
Young kitchen guy bursts in the front door with a 6 pack of Stella Artois and a receipt.
5 more min go by...drinks arrive.
The drinks sucked, but the food was pretty amazing. We probably won't ever go back there.
Good times.
Okay, this brings us to my first day of work but I am going to keep you waiting for part 2 to hear all about it. Until then...


Our feet riding the subway. We were practicing going to work.
Giant buildings.

Peace, Love, and Big City Livin'
Chels



2 comments:

Karen M. said...

Sweet city livin', you were made for it!

Karen M. said...

Fabulous girl in a fabulous city!