Friday, May 3, 2013

I miss New York. I still love how people talk to you on the street - just assault you and tell you what they think of your jacket. -Madonna

It's been a really really long time since I have posted. A lot has happened.
To fill you in, I lost my job in October. So did J. We worked for the same idiot company and they could no longer afford to keep us. While it was devastating and very unexpected, it was also the best thing that ever happened to us.
We were both extremely unhappy working for this company. We needed the money and I needed the experience for my resume. For the few months leading up to our lay off we both went back and forth debating on whether or not we should quit. It was a stressful time in our relationship and we were so miserable. Thankfully we got laid off, which meant we didn't have to quit and we were able to collect unemployment. This was also difficult. J and I have both always had a job since we were old enough to have one. Collecting unemployment made us feel like shit. I was bored, I felt bad taking money that I wasn't working for, and felt like I didn't have a purpose. This sucked.
I spent hours every day sending my resume out to companies all over the U.S.
J decided to go back to school. He had been talking about wanting to get his MBA and this was the push he needed. He enrolled in an online school and started right away. I was so proud of him, but I have to be honest, it made me feel like double shit. He was at least going to school and working toward making a better life for us, and what was I doing? I'll tell ya what I was doing. Knitting, eating, applying for jobs, working out, watching movies, applying for jobs, bugging J, cleaning, applying for jobs, napping, walking around the house aimlessly, applying for jobs. In that order. EVERY DAY.
It got old fast.
After going on multiple interviews, including one all the way in Boston, something happened. I got a call. A fashion company in Manhattan wanted to interview me. Holy moly.
My parents bought me a train ticket, my mom took off work to be my travel buddy, and we went up to NYC for my interview. Then something else happened....

I GOT THE JOB OFFER!!!!!
Hallelujah thank you sweet baby Jesus!!

I accepted. I am a graphic designer in Manhattan.
Okay, not quite yet. I mean I haven't started yet. J and I just signed the lease on a beautiful 2 bedroom apartment on the upper east side in Manhattan. The building was just bought by a new management company so as people move out they are completely gutting and renovating each unit. So our apartment is still being worked on. They put in all brand new hardwood floors, brand new bathrooms, all new paint, and brand new stainless steel appliances in the kitchen. The kitchen should be finished early next week and when it is, we are outta here!

Google maps view of our new place. Legit.
The plan is to drive up in J's truck with a bunch of stuff to get me started. J will stay with me for a couple of days and help me to unpack and navigate the subway system so I don't get lost and die.
Then he will come back to our house and continue packing and then move up with me for good.

I still have to pinch myself to make sure this is all real. I get goose bumps every time I say it:
I am a graphic designer for a fashion company in Manhattan. (goooooosebuuuuuumps!!)

So I know this was a boring post, and I know I have not been blogging regularly but stick with me people because shit is about to get good.
I am convinced that good things happen to those who wait, and who also work their ass off and have a great resume.
I don't regret working for my previous company. I learned a lot. Especially how not to run a business.
J and I learned how to lean on each other in tough times.
My new salary is double what I was making at the previous company and I have benefits. (suck on that previous company!)
Life is good, and it's about to get even better. I will keep you all in the loop as this next chapter of our lives unfolds.

Peace, Love, and NYC
Chels

No comments: