Thursday, May 3, 2012

Grown up stuff...yuck.



Okay, so I suppose being 24 years old some would consider me a grown up. Well, I'm NOT.
It's weird though because back when I was about to turn 16, and get my license I thought I was sooo grown up. Then when my 18th birthday came and went and I was applying to colleges, I felt really grown up. When I turned 21 I thought, shit doesn't get much better than this. I am such a grown up. Now I am 24, living with my boyfriend, and working full time and I could not feel any less a grown up.

Friends of mine are getting married...crazy.
Friends of mine are trying to have babies...INSANE.

Up until this point we have all spent most of our time trying desperately to not get preg, and now some of my friends actually want to be preg! When one of them comes to me and tells me they are knocked up, I don't know whether I should offer them a ride, or congratulate them and tell them how excited I am to be an auntie...

It's all very confusing.

Do they all consider themselves grown ups? When do you really become a grown up? Like a real life person. A person a 17 year old would look at and think...wow they are a grown up. ugh.

I feel like I just said grown up a lot.

I mean, I suppose I want to get married and have babies some day. I guess I want to build a house (not really build it, like not with my own hands or anything, I would pay someone else to build it) And I want to be completely financially independent. SOME DAY.

J and I have been talking about marriage, and buying a house. It all just feels too big for us. We are too little to be thinking about these things. But I also don't want to be an old lady when I have kids. I mean these days celebs are poppin out kiddos well into their 40's! I don't want to be decrepit and senile when my kid graduates college. (Okay, 60ish is not old enough to be considered decrepit)

All I'm trying to say is that big decisions are looming ahead of me. All I honestly want to do is drink a 6-pack of natural light, eat a few slices of pizza and take a nap...every...day...for...ever.

Someone should write a book for people like me. Explaining if and when I need to stop calling my mom every time something significant happens to me. Like getting a job, cutting my hair, PMSing or getting the squeaky cart at the grocery store. At what point do you start to focus on the things that really matter and make some real life decisions?

My brain hurts.
Please feel free to enlighten me if you have ANY answers to ANY of these questions.

Peace, Love, and Terrified of Fetuses,
Chels




No comments: